Sunday, July 5, 2009

Thing 15 Digg

Digg is a brand new thing to me. I'd heard of it but never looked at it. At first I couldn't figure out what to do or what to make of it. I'm not a news follower though once in awhile I'll follow a story headline on aol.com. So, most of the stories on the first page just didn't turn me on. And a few I clicked into looked like they weren't the most credible sources.

I then decided to search for a subject like Children's Literature. That list was a bit more interesting, but still not a lot of useful sites popped up. Perhaps more would surface if more of us belonged and gave a thumbs up to the better sites. I then decided to look for cataloging sites. Boy, that's a term that didn't yield library cataloging. I got catalogs and other sites down that road. I did unearth one MARC cataloging when I added the term MARC.

I also don't like the fact that there are sponsored links, but that's the way of life on the free web. Those advertisements are so misleading--try this for free for 14 days.... I did not join Digg. This is one of those tools that I'll keep a watch on. Perhaps my mind just hasn't been expanded enough to understand how this would be of use to us in the library profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment