Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thing 19 Google Docs

Google.docs rocks!!! I've been using it for over a year. It's a great way to collaborate with a group of people. My librarians have used it to create a PowerPoint about Thanksgiving books, share ideas for a city wide trivia contest, and collect data about circulation. I didn't realize you could download in those other formats.

You can upload documents or tables or download them as well. The creating a spreadsheet as a form is fantastic. The link it created is a form with just the questions. The responses automatically populate the spreadsheet. You download the spreadsheet or do whatever. I've gathered data on how lost book money is handled by librarians. Since I opened that link to anyone who had the link, they were able to answer without supplying their name.
Great to know about the blog from google.docs. I read a few entries and see that users and developers are working away at improving this shared web tool.

I see lots of potential for this tool. My biggest problem using it has been remembering to shift gears and use it. I often fall back on the "old way" emailing out attachements.

No comments:

Post a Comment